2014 Skoll World Forum on Social Entrepreneurship, April 9 – 11 Oxford, England
Each year, nearly 1,000 of the world’s most influential social entrepreneurs, key thought leaders and strategic partners gather at the University of Oxford’s Saïd Business School to exchange ideas, solutions and information.
The Skoll World Forum on Social Entrepreneurship is the premier international platform for advancing entrepreneurial approaches and solutions to the world’s most pressing problems. Our mission is to accelerate the impact of the world’s leading social entrepreneurs by uniting them with essential partners in a collaborative pursuit of learning, leverage and large-scale social change. Co-produced by the Skoll Foundation and the Skoll Centre for Social Entrepreneurship at the Saïd Business School, the Forum shines a spotlight on best practices, new innovations and connecting leaders to one another to further global social progress. Forum delegates represent nearly 65 countries and participate in a range of interactive events in inspiring Oxford locations. We provide a unique platform for delegates to openly share, collaborate, innovate and ultimately, advance social entrepreneurship.
For 2014, the theme was Ambition.
Throughout history, human ambition has been a powerful force for change. Ambition grounds aspiration in action. Where aspiration desires, ambition does—it kindles creativity, stokes resolve, and drives progress. Gathering in Oxford for the 11th Annual Skoll World Forum, we explored this phenomenon and its implications for our work.
We began by acknowledging that humanity stood poised to take a quantum leap forward as millions upon millions emerge from poverty, ambitious to claim their rights to more secure, dignified, and prosperous lives.
Social entrepreneurs grasp the magnitude of this force and are harnessing its potential. Why? Because they understand that true change will always be driven by those most affected: women and men whose families, livelihoods, and ultimate destinies depend upon whether they are afforded or denied opportunity. To defeat poverty, injustice, and environmental degradation, social entrepreneurs don’t impose their solutions. Instead, they work with those they serve, building the scaffolds to shared prosperity, self-determination, and sustainability.
Once the rungs of opportunity are in place, social entrepreneurs know that ambition will make the climb. You may think ambition is invisible, but its energy is undeniable, offering a vast, infinitely renewable resource that social entrepreneurs tap to bring their visions to life.
- Jeff Skoll, Chairman, Jeff Skoll Group, which includes the Skoll Foundation, Skoll Global Threats Fund, Participant Media and Capricorn Investment Group
- Sally Osberg, President and CEO, Skoll Foundation
- Malala Yousafzai, education activist, blogger and author
- Sir Richard Branson, Founder, Virgin Group
- Sir Ronald Cohen, Founder, Apax Partners
- Tony Elumelu, C.O.N., Chairman, Heirs Holdings
- Feike Sijbesma, CEO and Chairman of the Managing Board, Royal DSM, The Netherlands
- Marcus Bleasdale, Photojournalist
- Benjamin Reese, Founder of Deltree
- Musical performances by Grammy Award winner, Miri Ben-Ari and Playing for Change, a multimedia music project that seeks to bring together musicians from around the world
View photos from the 2014 Skoll World Forum below:
The 2015 Skoll World Forum is scheduled to take place from April 15 – 17, 2015. Sign up below to receive updates and content throughout the year: